A 501c3 is an application that a company that is nonprofit submits to the IRS to get itself qualified for tax exemptions. Getting registered for the tax exemption is a lengthy process. A special form can be submitted which is the Form-1023 series application to know the application status. The form should be presented/filled in 27 months from the first month when the organization was created.
All the applications for 501c3 are reviewed carefully before approval. Generally, all the applications are approved within three to twelve months. However, the duration for the approval may increase due to the size and tenure of the application. Ensure that you study all the points well so that there is no difficulty in application approval. The application should have all the correct information. Further, in case there is a need for tax exemption for special circumstances it should be declared.
What is a 501c3 Application?
A 501c3 application is a lawful document that an organization(non-profit) presents to the Internal Revenue Service so that the applicants get qualified for the tax exemptions. The processes are generally known as the State Corporate Tax Exemption and the Charitable Solicitations Registration.
Who is Eligible?
There is an eligibility list for all individuals to apply for the 501c3 application. The list is as follows:
- The organization should not be earning from private shareholders or individuals.
- The company should not take part in any of the campaigns or should not support any political candidate.
- The company should not be working for private interest
The applicant has to submit a lot of documents to qualify for the 501c3 application.
- Currency and Language Details.
- Activity information for the past, present, and future should be presented.
- Past and present financial information(Detailed).
- Benefit plan returns or Employment tax.
- Supplemental information.
- Operation rules.
- Organizing document.
What are Application Requirements?
There are a few application requirements that an applicant has to fulfill for the 501c3 application:
- All the supporting documents along with the complete Form 1023-Series application and fees are also submitted.
- Employee Identification Number(EIN) must be requested.
- A corporation, trust, or association must be registered with the IRS.
- The approved application with supporting documents and the annual information returns of the last three years should be presented.
- There should be an acceptable exempt purpose that is religious, educational, and charitable.
How to fill out a 501c3 application?
Filling out a 501c3 application form consumes a lot of time and is a lengthy process. But it is a simple process:
- The initial step is to get the status from the IRS(Internal Revenue System). There are three options: trust/corporation/ association. Select anyone.
- Further, a reason is asked for the tax exemption. A plethora of reasons is there, tap on what is the correct reason for you.
- Next, fill out the application form that is displayed in front of you. Add all the obligatory information and do not miss any vital detail. In case you feel a shortage of space, take an extra sheet and label it as “supplementary information”.
- Now, scrutinize the complete application once again.
- At last, complete the application form 1023-series and submit the application.
Also Read: How to apply for IRS EIN Application?
How can I check the status of my 501c3 application?
There are innumerable ways to see out the status of the 501c3 application. One of them is visiting the IRS website to know about the current updates of the application.
Where can I get a 501c3 application?
A nonprofit organization that wants to apply for the 501c3 application can get the application at Internal Revenue Service.
How long does a 501c3 application take?
The time that is usually taken for a 501c3 application to get approved is approximately 3 to 12 months. The time may vary for the application process due to the size and tenure of a company.
How much is the 501c3 application?
The cost that an individual has to pay for the 501c3 is approximately $600. The attorney may ask the client to make payment for this outside the legal services bill.
What is the fee for a 501c3 application?
A person has to pay a mandatory fee of $600 for the filling of the 501c3 application. A person can pay the application fees online.
Digital marketer by profession and author by interest. He is the mind behind starting this blog. While surfing the internet, Ajay found that many people are facing problems while filling up the application forms. To overcome this, Ajay decided to start a blog so that users will get proper guidance on how to apply for any online/offline applications.