People need energy assistance every time to keep them warm and cool as required. Energy costs are difficult to manage for many families, and the costs are often associated with home energy costs, energy crises, weather issues, and home repairs related to energy repairs.
The Energy Assistance Application program is available for both tenants and homeowners. For a family of four, energy assistance can go up to $70.552 on an annual basis. The benefits can go up to $1400, along with extra help during emergency situations.
If you need energy assistance, you can read the entire information provided in different segments below around eligibility, the application process, and other information.
What is Energy Assistance Program?
There are almost 37.8% of low-income households that have great difficulty paying their electricity or energy bills. The LIHEAP (Low-income Home Energy Assistance application) can help you in winters and summers.
Living costs are a never-ending burden, and utility bills add up immensely every year. With the help of this program, you can get the maximum benefits. It was created in 1981 and works by offering financial aid to 6.7 million households.
LIHEAP bills are primarily built to cover the heating and cooling functions in your home. They will not cover your water or sewage bill. If the water bill is not for air conditioning purposes, you can’t expect to get the bill amount from them.
In this article, you can find more about the application process, eligibility, and document requirements.
How to apply for Energy Assistance application?
Some states require a LIHEAP Energy Assistance application form to be mailed to them. Others allow online LIHEAP applications. You can also contact the local LIHEAP office to learn how to apply in that particular state. Alternately, you can also try the following number, 1-866-674-6327, to know more.
Use the following link to start your online application and use this is Indiana link.
- To register, start by entering your name, birth date, country of living, SSN, Real ID, passport, email address, phone number and type. Click on the Register tab.
- After registration, you will be taken to the main form, where you will need to add your personal details, income-related details, and also state your housing problems.
- Once you have entered all the details, you will need to submit identifying documents that include your basic identity, address related identity, and also your income proofs.
Also Read: How to apply for Indian Energy assistance?
Who is Eligible?
- Income is the prime eligibility factor for getting LIHEAP program benefits.
Those who earn 60% of the state median income (SMI) or less can apply.
- People need to stay in the same place where they wish to apply for the LIHEPA program.
- Only adults above or equal to 18 years old can apply for LIHEAP.
What are application requirements?
Application requirements for the LIHEAP Energy Assistance application program involve providing the following documents.
- An identity document needs to be provided.
- Apart from it, one must provide income related documents like pay stubs, and other such documents.
- You also need to submit an address proof for LIHEAP grant.
The Energy Assistance application helps with a variety of issues aside from providing you with help to pay your energy bills;
- To make homes more energy efficient, different kinds of improvements need to be made.
- Several small home repairs related to energy provisions are done by them.
- Utility bill assistance is available if any utility provision is turned off.
- Using it, you can also fix air conditioners and furnaces as per your requirements. You can use the LIHEAP money to repair your doors and windows if they obstruct your heating or cooling functions.
- Home insulation is also possible through the use of LIHEAP money.
LIHEAP provides monetary grants at the state, territory or tribe level.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
How to check on Energy Assistance application?
The Energy Assistance application program provides you with an online process to check the status of your program.
To make it work, you will have to enter the last name, birth date, and the last four digits of the social security number. Wait for 15 days before you inquire into the status of your application.
How long does it take to get approved for Energy Assistance?
It takes 55 days almost to inquire your eligibility by the local service agencies. Also it can take up to 30 days to process your benefit right into your account.
Where to mail Energy Assistance application?
You can use the following e-mail address to mail them your application given here- [email protected].
Where to send Energy Assistance application?
You can send it to your local provider address as mentioned in your account details. Do not send it to any other random address, and inquire before you send. You must find your state’s details before sending it off.
Here is all about the Energy Assistance application program. If you wish to find out about the eligibility details alongside other essential information about the program, this post should suffice. Also know that the Energy Assistance program is provided in every state and might differ slightly from one state to another. Look into what you need to do to proceed further.