Texas, like any other US state, suffered hugely from the COVID-19 pandemic. People lost their jobs, and some even lost their homes. To protect tenants from further losing their property, the Texas government brought in the Texas rent relief program.
Similarly, Dallas, a Texas City, has made some provisions of its own. They are using not just the statewide rent relief programs but also some local ones, like the Dallas County and City of Dallas programs, apart from the Texas Rent Relief program and the Texas Eviction Diversion program.
What is Dallas Rent Relief Program?
The city of Dallas rental assistance Program is here to make up for the COVID-19 emergency rental assistance program. If someone is adversely impacted by COVID-19, they will be able to apply for this program by filling out an application form.
With DHA, you can expect almost 18 months of rental assistance. If someone received rental assistance in 2021, they will be able to receive rental assistance even now, but the number of months during which they previously received assistance will be deducted. If you received two months of rental assistance earlier, you will now receive it for 16 months.
The Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) works around the American Rescue Plan Act 2021. A federally funded initiative, it is in place to help low-income households and people who have been hard hit by COVID-19
DHA (Dallas Housing Solutions for North Texas) is assigned the task of distributing rent relief to the citizens of Dallas who are in need. Rent relief can be sought either by the landlord on behalf of the tenant or even by the tenants themselves.
City of Dallas Rent Relief Application Process (Step by Step)
If you are a landlord, you will need to complete the application by visiting the dallasrentrelief.com website and then clicking on the “Tenant Application” button.
Those who are tenants will need to complete the application form by clicking on the “Landlord Application” button given on the Dallas Rental Assistance website.
- Once you confirm your eligibility, you will need to start by ensuring your household income is at or below 80% of your area’s median income.
- Possess a photo image or a PDF of the documents and keep them on your device, ready to upload.
- It will take 15-20 minutes to complete the application, where you will have to fill in details like your personal information, income-related details, and employment and employer-related information.
- Also, add more about your address and other relevant details.
The application is not active currently, although the Dallas Housing Authority is accepting rent applications and the city of Dallas is accepting applications as well for rent and utility purposes.
Who is eligible?
You are eligible for the Dallas rent relief program if you fulfill the following eligibility criteria.
- Both the tenant and landlord must be residents of Dallas.
- COVID-19 adversely affected your job, wherein you faced a job loss or lost your income.
- You might be at risk of homelessness or have some unstable housing situations to handle, like eviction, past-due rent, or be living in unstable housing conditions.
- A current annual household income of less than or equal to 80% of the area’s median income is a must.
- You must either be a citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
- Tenants can apply directly, or if the landlord prefers, they can apply on their behalf.
- If you are an immediate family member of any DHA worker, you cannot apply.
- If you live in a housing unit owned by your family members, you cannot apply.
- You must have a bank account number.
What are the application requirements?
Application requirements for city of Dallas rental assistance include fulfilling the following points;
- Your social security card will be required.
- Also, there will be a need for a government-issued photo ID card.
- Income proofs like paystubs or bank statements are a must.
- Job-loss proof like a letter, mail, or a notice from the employer.
- Lease pages that contain your name, the property owner’s name, the complete rental address, the rent amount, the lease term, the occupant’s list, and date-wise signatures.
- Landlords need to have their W-9, and also the lease information of the tenant must be available.
Rental Assistance Benefits
Here are the benefits of the Dallas rent relief program you can obtain.
- Rental assistance opportunities are available for Dallas individuals. Those in need can apply comfortably from the comforts of their homes.
- For landlords, it is essential to register themselves as vendors with the city of Dallas.
- They provide rental assistance without discrimination.
- You can secure yourself for 18 months with the rental relief program.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
How long does Dallas rent relief take?
Once your application documents are submitted by the tenant and the landlord, you will get your eligibility notification within ten days. Post-eligibility determination, your application will be put up for approval. An application will take some time for approval, and then it takes less than one week.
What is Dallas rent relief number?
The city of Dallas rental assistance Program number is 214-670-8416 and operates from Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Where to cash Dallas rent relief check?
The Dallas rent relief program offers money as a direct deposit or via check. For check deposits, you will need to provide your bank account details. Add the first and last name, along with the mailing address, and then click on the “Validate” tab. You can put it in the bank and then take out the amount directly from your bank, where you deposited the check. You cannot encash it anywhere else. The checks are delivered directly to the landlord.
The Dallas rent relief program is currently non-functional as they have closed the applications. But Texas rent relief will begin its application on March 14th. If you desperately need to file for one, read the details here to understand how you can file for any of the rent relief programs. The information they would ask for is definitely similar to the information provided here.
Digital marketer by profession and author by interest. He is the mind behind starting this blog. While surfing the internet, Ajay found that many people are facing problems while filling up the application forms. To overcome this, Ajay decided to start a blog so that users will get proper guidance on how to apply for any online/offline applications.
- Low-Income Housing for Disabled Adults, Seniors Near me…
- Low-Income Housing for Seniors near me in USA 
- Low-income housing with no waiting list near me in 
- Low income housing for single mothers USA (Complete Guide)
- Terms and Conditions
- Affordable Connectivity Program Application [2023-Updated]